Wednesday, October 19, 2005

London ... ahhh ... city of opportunities, where the streets are paved with gold. A place where no amount of cliches and mixed metaphors is ever enough. Where people toe the line and think outside the box. Where Big Brother is definitely watching you, yet you can blend into the crowd. A place where you pay through the nose for a cup of tea that vaguely resembles lukewarm puddle water. A place as far removed from the sleepy little Devon town in which I grew up. A place I couldn't wait to get to .....

There's a saying where I come from .. 'You don't wan' go up Lunnun - tis full of nutters. Tis a maaad place. You'm won' be comin' baack from Lunnun I tell 'ee girl'. Well, it's not so much of a saying as something the landlady of my local pub mumbled at me as I bade her a fond farewell. 'Tush!' said I. 'London is surely a marvellous place, where the buses run on time and everybody wears a bowler hat and carries an ironed newspaper under their arm. Tis also said that chimney sweeps dance upon the rooftops. There's nothing lunatic about that! Get thee hence vile crone!'. And, duly ignoring her prophetic words, I hopped onto the next train to the glittering metropolis. Which I had to wait a week for. Public transport down south really isn't what it should be!

And so it was, nearly a year ago, I arrived fresh faced in London. Since then everything that has happened to me has served to proved my landlady right - London really is a mad place .....

2 comments:

Juice said...

There is nothing wrong with london!

I actually suggest going to a pub called "the rising sun" in a west london town called Isleworth.

Apparently the locals are very friendly and the quiz night is magic. Although it is fiendishly difficult and most people rely on their chinese companions for the tough questions.

Never mind hey. Just pull down your burberry cap and the world always looks so much better.

Juice said...

Shady establishment! You wound me to the core women!

Or it would do if i didnt know it to be a deep untruth.

Unknown to you but i have a text message from my devon companion sent to me on the night of one of the rising sons legendary quiz nights,saying what a wonderful time she had at the above mentioned "shady" establishment!

Whilst I admit that i am a bit of simpleton next to my wand wielding friend, I compensate with my easy going charm and sensual trombone playing!

Where else in the world may i ask is there the potent mix of danger,booze,excitement and trivia questions? Isleworth will be the birthplace of the chav renaissance im sure!

As for my gambling! I am but the small change that has fallen down the back of lifes metaphorical sofa. Dreams of poker glory are the only light in my darkened existence!

Until we meet again!

your chinese friend